| Rating: 4.9 - 293 reviews
This training session is available in both in-person and video conference formats. Same great training; you simply decide which format best fits your needs!
About This Course
The FMLA and ADA laws have been updated. Have you? This comprehensive, three-day program includes 15 information-packed sessions that provide complete A-to-Z coverage of all aspects of the federally-required FMLA and ADA compliance and best practices - plus access to our heralded FMLA and ADA Training & Certification Programs!
Not only will you learn the practical strategies and procedural recommendations that will enable you to tackle the challenging FMLA and ADA issues you confront every day, you'll also get FREE updates whenever FMLA or ADA laws change!
Key Benefits Of Attending Our FMLA & ADA Seminar And Workshop
This comprehensive three-day event provides you with all the tools and practical knowledge you need to effectively manage your FMLA and ADA compliance responsibilities, including tips on:
- Determining what constitutes a "disability" under ADA
- Navigating the perplexing reasonable accommodation discussion
- Determining reasonable accommodations and undue hardships
- Employer coverage and employee eligibility under the FMLA
- Obtaining proper medical certifications to ensure employee entitlement to leave
- Managing intermittent and reduced-schedule leave
- Reducing the risk of litigation with employees on leave
- Minimizing absenteeism and productivity challenges
- GINA's prohibition on acquiring genetic information, and its mandatory notice and recordkeeping requirements
Earn A Certified Administrator Designation
As a special bonus, you receive access to our FMLA Training & Certification Program and our ADA Training & Certification Program!
Not only do these programs include numerous administrative tips and procedural recommendations for keeping in compliance, you also receive FREE updates whenever the law changes, plus the ability to earn a Certified Administrator designation!
Simply complete the Training & Certification Programs included with this course, then pass the exam and you will receive a certificate which is suitable for framing
SHRM And HRCI Re-Cert Credits
You also earn 18 PHR / SPHR re-certification credit hours and 18 SHRM PDCs!
This course is available in both in-person and video conference formats. Courses can run on either three consecutive days or three of the same day of the week (for instance, three consecutive Mondays). For specific dates and times, click on your desired date and venue from the list at the bottom of this page.
Here are just some of what people are saying about this course:
...our trainer was phenomenal! She was able to easily apply real world situations to our materials and helped us navigate hypothetical situations
...I thoroughly enjoyed the training! Learned lots and met some "resident experts" that I can call/email when I need assistance.
...Felt the appropriate questions to ask and not ask for new candidates were very valuable.
...Our trainer Chris Fulton was amazing. He made a complex topic understandable. His wealth of experience and knowledge was admirable. He answered every question with clarity.
...Natalie Ivey is an exceptional trainer. One on the best if not the best I've ever encountered.
...The in depth coverage of the ADA, the case studies, and GINA were most helpful. The attorney that provided the training was very knowledgeable, and he was an excellent resource to bounce our own past situations off of. Great presenter.
...I thought the instructor was very knowledgeable and personable.
...The review of case law as it applies to FMLA was most helpful. This allows the student to hear scenarios and different aspects of the law being applied, or where it should have been applied.
...The short questions at the end of each section in the training book were very helpful; our instructor had us answer them and then we talked through the questions and answers as a class.
...the instructor engaged us in discussion about our particular workplaces. He was very knowledgeable and pleasant. He did a thorough job in presenting the material and responding to questions. I would recommend the course to others and would be pleased to have him as my instructor in another course.
...Discussing different relevant cases with the presenter was helpful. He was very knowledgeable about the subject and provided sound feedback and expertise.
...The presenter was very kind in letting us ask all our questions.
...My Staff Manager attended the course last year and had me go this time, and I see why: great training!
...I was very pleased with the class and was very impressed by the instructor's knowledge of the subject as well as her ability to present it quickly and well.
...The trainer was personable, and flexible, and willing to answer questions as we shared our personal work challenges that was extremely applicable to better understanding what was reviewed, but also very informative.
...Instructor was great! Very knowledgeable and keep on track and presented it in a way that you stayed very alert.
...I was very pleased with the training presented.
...The instructor, Ann Kiernan, was FABULOUS! She knew the information very well. This was the best training course I have ever taken.
...Great class. Loved Susan. Learned a lot.
...the subjects and materials were very interesting, and the trainer's knowledge of employment law was very useful and interesting during our discussions
...excellent training, loved the class!
...I think our instructors knowledge contributed to the success of our class. She was highly professional, and took the responsibility of training us seriously
...Great seminar. I liked the personal touch with individual situations being discussed.
...I really felt that the size of the class and the material helped a lot with the learning. It didn't make you feel lost in a class. I am very pleased that I had a chance to attend this course.
Day 1: The Family And Medical Leave Act
- Key terms and definitions
- Who is covered and why
- Employee Eligibility And Leave Entitlement
- Paid and unpaid leave options
- Intermittent and reduced-schedule leaves
- Special rules for school employees
- Employer posting requirements
- Communicating with employees who are out of work
- Medical Certifications
- Fitness-for-duty testing
- Return-to-work options
- FMLA job and benefits restoration
- Tracking leave
- Ending Leave
- Recovering benefits costs incurred during FMLA leave
- RIFs involving protected employees
- Documentation strategies that protect your organization
- Various case studies on eligibility and administrative requirements
Day 2: The Americans with Disabilities Act
- Key terms and definitions
- The laws protecting disabled individuals from discrimination
- Who is covered and why
- Employment practices that are prohibited by the ADA
- Employer posting requirements
- Identifying Essential Job Functions And Qualified Individuals
- Reasonable Accommodations
- Job restructuring or additional training
- Medical exams
- Confidentiality of medical information
- Confidentiality in accommodations
- Responding when an individual refuses an offered accommodation
- Light or modified duty
- Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Determining what is a substantial limitation to a major life activity
- Analyzing reasonable accommodation requests
Day 3: ADA and FMLA Best Practices, Plus Compliance With Other Leave Laws
Day three covers some of the tips and methods for managing the integration of leave laws, including:
- Workers' Compensation
- State family leave and paid family leave laws
- State laws for jury duty, voting, bereavement, school activities, vacation, and more
- Pregnancy leave and accommodation
- Military leave
- Wellness plans
- Distinguishing between an FMLA "serious health condition" and an ADA "disability"
- Managing the interplay between leave requirements under the ADA and FMLA
- Handling Workers' Comp claims that have ADA and FMLA ramifications
- When you can run leave times concurrently under FMLA and workers' comp
- Coordinating case management
- Options for refilling positions while an employee is out
- Strategies for reducing absenteeism and impacts to productivity
- Various case studies on overlapping leave and disability law dilemmas
Action Steps Beyond The Program
An "Early Bird" discount is offered for registrations made 30 days prior to the seminar date, so register today!